Friday, August 18, 2006

worst. pizza. ever.

this may be my last post for a little while. brendan and i are headed up to the farm in otematea this evening. most of today is last minute prep--laundry, packing, etc. yesterday we headed out to one tree hill and wandered around the lovely cornwall park, where we met some of roudy hotsteppers.



yesterday also marked what was the first in a probably long and fruitless journey searching for the perfect pizza in new zealand. yesterday's jaunt to epolito's (a place run by ex-pat new yorkers) took about twice as long as expected only to find the establishment closed for the afternoon. what followed was probably the worst pizza ever.



then last night for dinner was a bit of a trip down memory lane with the harveys... well, warwick and shirley, at least. they managed to dig up an old home video of craig's 9th birthday party, which i had attended. there was a weird game involving shaving cream and the limbo. there was also a few minutes of footage of a game from the northcote soccer club i used to play on.

aaaaand... guess who got an honorable mention in the 2006 washington post travel photo contest.

i'll try and post while at the farm, but i make no guarantees.

10 comments:

Kelvin said...

Kia Ora, No prize for guessing what country I live in !!!
Shaving cream & limbo ??? I'm glad you spare us the details (hehe)
Great photos & great blog.

When do you head "home" to the USA ?
Hope you are enjoying yourself.
I would like to mention your blog on one of my blogs, as it is worth sharing - can I ???

Anna said...

Will! I am so excited for you! Congratulations on your awesome recognition.

Anna said...

Will, may I use your fowl photograph for a unit I'm writing? Please?

Anonymous said...

You are more than equal -- on the web all the Washington Post Travel Photo Contest Winners are shown in the same size window, but in the hard copy paper you are the winner. Although your photo is not on the front page of the Travel Section, it covers a half page "above the fold" inside with the other winners. It looks fabulous and its bigger than the 1st place photo! Congratulations. You're famous, (but don't quit your day job...whatever that turns out to be.)

Shiny said...

May I commend you on your fantasmical chickens. They are lovely.

I always thought those Utah photos were top notch and I am glad one of them got the mad props. YAY!!

Anna said...

Not to inflate your ego any more than it needs to be, but I went home to have dinner with my parents last night and I told them about your picture. It turns out that my parents had looked at in the Post before I got there. My dad, without even realizing that you were a friend of mine, thought your picture should have won. It was his favorite. He also says if you know of anyone making a commercial print of it, he'd be interested in buying one.

ymathew said...

so proud of you. I always loved the picture, and the judges were right, there is a definite mystical quality to it. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Further comments on your winning photo from a professional photographer and former 1st Place winner in the Post Travel Photo Contest (you know who):

"Wonderful news! I love the image and think it's the best of the bunch. It should have won first place. Please pass along a big congratulations..."

Emiko said...

wait wait... are the potato chips the pizza??? i'm confused.. but man will your picture man!! that is sooooo exciting.. but you know, i only keep talented folks around! you knew that!

Emiko said...

you know, i thought about it, and i agree. your picture should have won. and it was the best of the bunch. i don't need to be your friend to tell you that.